Friday, November 19, 2010

Rethinking the anti-marijauna ordinance

Dear Councilman Thomas,

I was pleased to see you at tonight’s event and I hope that you found Professor Alexander’s speech as compelling as I did. After the speech I noticed that you left council chambers and I wanted to make sure that you were aware that Ms. Alexander was asked about our city’s anti-marijuana ordinance. She said she believed that it fed into the New Jim Crow caste system and that it wasn’t a good use of our limited resources.


I have no doubt that you and your colleagues had the best of intentions when you passed that legislation. But we have looked closely into the numbers and I challenge you to do the same.


This is the most recent report on the ordinance and it clearly shows that African American males are being locked up at disproportionate numbers despite the fact that studies show blacks and whites use marijuana at about the same rates.


Furthermore, Councilman Wendell Young estimates that it costs $360,000 a year. I believe that this a very conservative estimate.


Judge Nadine Allen spoke eloquently about the effects that the ordinance has on people and challenged legislators that support the policy to go to a court room and see the real world effects and the collateral damage it causes. Having a criminal record prevents people from getting jobs and housing and it has caused some college students to lose their scholarships.


I believe that non-violent drug offenders need treatment instead of criminal records. As you know marijuana will still remain illegal and will still be punished under Ohio state law. The current policy does more harm to marijuana users than their abuse of the drug itself does.


Given the city’s current financial woes and the detrimental effects that these laws have on the African American community I’m asking that you please reconsider this policy and join your fellow council members that are for repealing it. I know that you are a good man that wants the best for our entire community.


If you spend some more time contemplating this issue you will find it in your heart to do the right thing. I thank you for your many years of service.


Respectfully,


Justin Jeffre

Clifton Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment